A collection of computer systems and programming tips that you may find useful.
 
Brought to you by Craic Computing LLC, a bioinformatics consulting company.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

AWS EC2 ec2-bundle-vol and Ruby problem

When you want to bundle an image on an Amazon Web Services EC2 node you run the 'ec2-bundle-vol' script. This is a Ruby script that performs all sorts of magic.

Be aware of the following problem if you install your own version of Ruby

I'm running a Fedora Core 8 node and the latest version of Ruby that I can get using the yum updater is 1.8.6 - but I want 1.8.7 - so I installed from source into /usr/local/bin. I have /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in my path so I get to see the 1.8.7 version and I can leave the old version alone.

But when I try to bundle an EC2 image I get this:
# ec2-bundle-vol
/usr/lib/site_ruby/ec2/amitools/bundlevol.rb:11:in `require': no such file to load -- ec2/amitools/bundle (LoadError)


The problem appears to be tied to the new version. I can fix it by temporarily changing my path so that I pick up the 1.8.6 version of Ruby
# PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH

And now the command works... of course you will need to run the command with your certificates etc. You will probably see a verbose message about rsync exiting with an error code - ignore it.

Follow that with a call to ec2-upload-bundle

Make sure you reset your path after this so you can get the latest version of Ruby. I guess you can also rename /usr/bin/ruby (1.8.6) and then symlink in the 1.8.7 version.

I have so many issues with installing separate versions of ruby on Mac and Linux systems. All I really want to do is be able to upgrade the default installation to the latest version. Not sure why that is so difficult with yum, etc.

3 comments:

സന്തോഷ്. said...

Awsome..!

Works like a charm...! Thanks for this post. I was just behind this stupid error since last few hours though all my other settings looks ok for bundle-vol. Thanks Again

Santhosh.

സന്തോഷ്. said...

Awsome..!

Works like a charm...! Thanks for this post. I was just behind this stupid error since last few hours though all my other settings looks ok for bundle-vol. Thanks Again

Santhosh.

IT Trainers said...

ery informative post, really help me.
Naresh IT is The Best Software Training Institute, It Provides AWS Online Training, From this AWS Online Course you will be able to learn all the Concepts of AWS with real-time Industry Exports, Having the combined experience of more than 10+ yrs in the industry.

Archive of Tips